May 16, 2024


Passport Information

A passport is an internationally recognized travel document attesting to the identity and nationality of the bearer. In essence, it is a request on the part of the issuing government that officials of foreign governments permit the bearer to travel or sojourn in their territories and to afford them all lawful aid and protection.

A valid passport is required of U.S. citizens departing from the United States for any destination outside of North, South, or Central America and for entering the United States from outside the United States. For more information, please visit

The Clerk of Courts Office is the local government agency that may accept applications for passports. That application is then passed on to one of the passport services designated by the US Department of State. The application is then reviewed, and is then issued or denied, and returned to the applicant by mail. During peak travel periods, this process may take four to six-weeks, so allow plenty of time before you intend to travel.

Payment Information:  We do not take credit cards or cash payments for the US Department of State fees.  We do, however, take Personal Checks, Cashier’s Checks, and Money Orders for the US Department of State fees.  For the Clerk’s fees we take Cash, Personal Checks, Cashier’s Checks, Money orders, and credit cards.

To schedule an appointment at the Milton Office call (850) 983-1966.
Santa Rosa County Administrative Center:
6495 Caroline Street
Suite A
Milton, FL 32570

To schedule an appointment at the Southend Office call (850) 983-1824.
South Santa Rosa County Service Center:
5841 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL 32563

If you have any further questions you may contact our Recording Department at:
(850) 983-1966 or email your question to


Q: What are the requirements for obtaining a Passport?

A: Passports are good for a period of ten (10) years for persons age 16 and older. Five (5) years for persons 15 and under. All passports will be mailed from the passport agency to the address listed on the passport application. Allow up to 18 weeks for return. Passports may be expedited (up to 12 weeks) if you submit an additional $60.00 fee plus the express mail fee.  Applications can be obtained from the Clerk’s Office. *Due to COVID-19 the return dates may take longer than expected.

First-time passport applicants must submit the following:

  • One (1) passport photo taken within the last 6 months.
  • When applying for a U.S. passport in person, evidence of U.S. citizenship must be submitted with Form DS-11.  All documentation submitted as citizenship evidence will be returned to you.  These documents will be delivered with your newly issued U.S. passport or in a separate mailing.                                   
  • Primary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (One of the following):               
  • Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport                                             
  • Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state*                    
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad of Certification of Birth                
  • Naturalization Certificate                                                                          
  • Certificate of Citizenship                                                                                        

*A certified birth certificate has a registrar’s raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office, which must be within 1 year of your birth.  Please note, some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes.

Beginning April 1, 2011, all birth certificates must also include the full names of the applicant’s parent(s).

When applying for a U.S. passport in person, acceptable identification must be presented at the time of application. Primary Identification (One of the following):

  • Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Valid Driver’s License
  • Current Government ID (city, state or federal)
  • Current Military ID (military and dependents)

Renew by Mail if all of the following are true:  You’re most recent U.S. Passport:

  • Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change 
  • If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must Apply in Person
  • To renew your U.S. Passport by mail, you must submit Form DS-82

Minor Child Applicants 15 years or younger:

The child must appear in person with both parents; parents must present acceptable photo identification along with the child’s birth certificate showing both parents’ names.

Minors age 16 and 17 need to establish parental consent with one of the following:

  • Have one parent present with valid photo ID
  • Check or money order signed by parent

Types of Passports:

Passport Book – any means of International travel                                            

Passport Card – can be used to enter the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or seaports of entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book.  The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

How to Apply for the Passport Card:

All U.S. citizens may apply for a passport card.                                                            

If you have a U.S. passport book and are eligible to use Form DS-82, you may apply for the card by mail.  You can use Form DS-82 to renew your passport book at the same time that you apply for your passport card.                      

If you have never had a U.S. passport book or are not eligible to use Form DS-82, you must apply in person using Form DS-11. 

All passport cards will be returned using First Class Mail.  Passport cards cannot be shipped to you using overnight delivery.

Need a U.S. Passport Immediately?

You should make an appointment to be seen at a Regional Passport Agency only if:

  • The U.S. passport is needed in less than 2 weeks for international travel 
  • The U.S. passport is needed within 4 weeks to obtain a foreign visa

Contact the National Passport Information Center to make an appointment or locate a Passport Agency. 

Passport Fees:   (check or money order payable to the U.S. Dept of State)  

ApplicantPassport BookPassport Card
16 years and older$130.00$30.00
15 years and younger$100.00$15.00

An additional fee of $35.00 application fee will be paid to the Clerk of Court for all ages.