July 17, 2024

Marriage Information

Who may apply for a marriage license?

  • Any male or female age 18 or over.
  • A person age 17 with written parental or guardian consent and the older party to the marriage is not more than 2 years older than the younger party.

Where consent is required, is consent of both parents required?

Yes, unless the parents are divorced and the sole custody and control is placed in one parent, then only the parent having such sole custody and control shall be required to give the written consent.  Written consent of an incompetent parent is not required (Attorney General Opinion 49-122).  All written consents must be acknowledged (notarized).

Is there a waiting period for issuance of the license?

Yes. There is a three-day waiting period provided by the state legislature effective January 1, 1999, if either party is a Florida resident. Exceptions: Non-Florida residents with out-of-state driver’s licenses used as proof of identity, require no waiting period. Florida residents who provide upon making application proof of completion of a 4-hour marriage preparation course provided by an instructor registered with Santa Rosa County, FL, require no waiting period.

Are blood tests and physical exams required?

No. The law requiring these tests was abolished October 1, 1986.

Must I apply for a marriage license in the county where I live?

No, a marriage license may be applied for and solemnized in any Florida county.

Where can I apply for a marriage license in Santa Rosa County?

A marriage license may be obtained Monday through Friday by calling the numbers below and making an appointment. You can complete the application below before making an appointment. Appointments are made between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Clerk of Circuit Court’s Offices at

Santa Rosa County Administrative Center:
6495 Caroline Street
Suite A
Milton, FL 32570
(behind McDonald’s) (850) 983-1966.

South Santa Rosa County Service Center:
5841 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
(next door to THE ZOO) (850) 983-1824.

Walk-In Marriage License Application

Remote Marriage License Application (Use Chrome for best results)

How long is a marriage license valid once it is issued?

The marriage must be solemnized within sixty (60) days of issuance of the marriage license. The ceremony can be performed anywhere in the State of Florida.

Who may perform marriage ceremonies?

  • A regularly ordained minister or other ordained clergy;
  • Elders in communion with some church;
  • All judicial officers (judges) of the State of Florida;
  • Clerks of Circuit Court and their deputies of the State of Florida; and
  • Notaries Public of the State of Florida.
  • In addition, the law provides that marriages may be performed among “Quakers” or “Friends,” in the manner and form used or practiced in their societies.

Who is a “regularly ordained minister”?

He/she is a minister who has been recognized in the manner required by the regulations of the respective denomination to perform marriage ceremonies.

May a marriage be solemnized without a license?

No, Section 7.41.08 F.S. states that the party solemnizing the marriage shall require a properly issued license before performing the ceremony. (see link to statute below)

When and who should return the license to the Clerk?

A marriage cannot be officially recorded until the license is returned to the Clerk. It should be returned within ten days after the wedding. The party who performed the marriage is responsible for returning the completed license.

Does the Clerks office provide wedding ceremonies?

Yes, the Clerks office offers marriage ceremonies with a fee of $30.00.

What is the fee for a marriage license?

Marriage license without counseling $86.00

Marriage license with counseling $61.00

Can I pay for my marriage license with a personal check?

In Santa Rosa County, checks are accepted for a marriage license. Checks should be made payable to the Clerk of Court.

Changing information on documents:

If your marriage means a change in name and/or address, remember to make the following important notifications:

  1. Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, Division of Drivers License.
  2. Your nearest Social Security Office.
  3. Your voter’s registration office.
  4. Military Reserve commanding officer.
  5. Beneficiaries: Members of your family are probably named as beneficiaries or joint owners on many of these documents (bank accounts, insurance policies, employment benefits, etc.) and you may wish to make your spouse the new beneficiary or joint owner.

Where to write for a copy of your marriage license:

Department of HRS
Division of Vital Statistics
PO Box 210
Jacksonville, FL  32231-0042
Phone: (904) 359-6955


If you were issued your marriage license in Santa Rosa County, contact:

Clerk of Circuit Court
Recording Department
PO Box 472
Milton, FL  32572
(850) 983-1966


Publications in PDF can only be viewed and printed using the Adobe Acrobat Reader version 4.0 or higher. The downloadable Acrobat Reader software is available at NO CHARGE from the Adobe Systems website. For more information on other file viewers, go to our Accessibility page. The following documents will open in a new window.